Shop the seasonal styles that are sticking around for more than just spring/summer
The summer sales. A sort of post-Apocalyptic Purgatory for those of us who wait all season for those items we can just about afford at 70% off. That time of year when the best of us metamorphose into fashion-feeding succubi, scavenging for the best value, sometimes forgetting even our most basic of manners. We become feral animals – moving with the pack – the most coveted item being whatever the desperate housewife beside you is clinging onto for dear life as she scans the store with her x-ray vision. It’s the time of year when I can justify buying culottes, crop tops, sleeveless coats and yet another black blazer because I’ve never seen one so perfectly tailored. But if my yearly sartorial pogroms have taught me nothing it’s that seasonal trends such as flares (I’m sorry, I don’t think I can surrender to this one) will not last and it’s worth investing in the big boys – leather, suede, cashmere and wool are always winners. Polyester, nylon, spandex are probably not worth it. So read on, for my sales edit of this season’s trends and the best bargains that are worth investing in.
If, like me, you’re over thirty and your hips are longing for some child-bearing, then you need to get on this trend. Forget any gympslips that make camel toe-inducing leggings look demure. Opt for neoprene skirts, sporty tees and satin bomber jackets. My go-to brands are Zoe Karssen, Adidas Originals, Stella Sport and T by Alexander Wang.
MY TOP SALE PICKS TO CHANNEL THIS TREND
Where to buy these spring summer top sales picks
1. T x Alexander Wang top. Was €195, now €97.501.
2. T x Alexander Wang neoprene skirt. Was €229, now €68.
3. Joshua Sanders sneakers. Was €393, now €275.
4. Zoe Karssen Misfits top. Was €87, now €60.
5. New Balance trainers. Was €75.34, now €52.74.
6. The Kooples Sport yoga pant. Was €135, now €81.
7. Stella Sport Bra, in store at Brown Thomas, Lifestyle Sports and JD Sports. Was €34, now €20.
8. Saint Laurent trainers, Was €445, now €290.
9. FAP Filles a Papa sweatshirt. Was €180, now €128.
11. Nike + Riccardo Tisci Air Force 1 leather hi-tops. Was €340, now €170.
12. 7. Adidas Originals Colorado windbreaker. Was €60, now €36.
The 70s trend was not to be missed this season and the runway was brimming with peasant blouses, suede on suede and fringe-tastic boho details. Look to Saint Laurent and Chloe for two very different takes on this trend. Hedi Slimane’s girls are Courtney Love-esque nymphs circa the 90s with major grunge vibes. Lived-in eyeliner, barely black tights, dirty blonde hair and leather jackets are your go-to references. Turn to Chloe’s ethereal beauties for a pared-back look with layers upon layers of voluminous fabric and understated elegance.
70S VINTAGE – THE EDIT
WHERE TO BUY THESE SPRING SUMMER SALES BEAUTS
1. Chloé tie-front suede top. Was €1780, now €712.
2. Zara floral coat. Was €79.95, now €59.99.
3. Claudie Pierlot Sahara skirt. Was €365, now €182.50.
4. Étoile Isabel Marant jacket. Was €950, now €570.
5. Maje Goatskin leather dress. Was €345, now €241.
6. Topshop wallflower printed wedges. Was £52, now £20.
7. Topshop skirt, instore, €22.
8. Sandro Paris Emalda top. Was €185, now €129.50.
9. Ted Baker reena cat eye sunglasses. Was €123.28, now €73.97.
10. Shrimps faux fur gilet. Was €510, now €204.
11. Adam Lippes fringed crepe trousers. Was €1992.34, now €797.34.
12. Valentino shorts. Was €1390, now €834.
1. J Brand + Simone Rocha Campbell ruffled denim jacket. Was €495, now €148.50.
2. Poppy Blue embroidered shirt. Alexa chung for AG Jeans. Was £300, now £120
3. Stella McCartney denim jacket. Was €645, now €387.
4. Chambray shorts, Michael Michael Kors. Was €110, now €33.
5. Rag and Bone shorts. Was €195, now €78.
6. Koral shirt. Was €235, now €94.
8. Tennessee dungarees: Alexa Chung for AG Jeans. Was €365, now €219.
9. Stiletto skinny jeans, Current Elliot. Was €292, now €175.
10. Rachel Comey top. Was €260, now €104.
11. J Brand + Simone Rocha skirt. Was €320, now €160.
12. Alexa Chung x AG jeans kety skirt. Was €220, now €108.92.