Thank you kindly to Love Tom Tom for nominating me for a Liebster award. Lovin’ your style! I’ve never heard of the awards before this but now that I’ve read about it, I think it’s a fantastic initiative. I’ve only recently gone over 200 followers on Twitter. I started blogging after I completed my Masters in Education last year as I wanted to do something creative. I needed to find my voice and I’ve experimented with several different styles of writing on the blog; finally settling on a humorous, self-deprecating blend of mad-cap Ramblinman raconteur and over-enthused designer sycophant.
Photographs or words?
Words, words, words! A lot of people have their own cinema stream constantly running in their mind, like a montage to the theme tune of Rocky. However, my mind is made up of a conglomeration of words and phrases; beautiful phrases or images that I have heard. I see images of words being typed on an old typewriter, I see fonts and italics, letters and sentences. My memories are littered with phrases I associate with place and time. I associate friends with their phrases, their sayings, their go-to words. Some of my favourite wordsmiths include Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Miranda July, Kazuo Ishiguro, Brendan Kennelly, Khalid Hosseini, Leanne O Sullivan, W.B. Yeats, Morrissey, Shakespeare, Brian Friel and Enda Walsh. Although a photograph can capture a moment in time I think one’s words can truly reveal one’s personality. Fashion is such a visual medium and rifling through magazines, pouring over the images on every page is my age-old hobby; I adore looking at editorials and I even love ogling the ad campaigns but it is words that stay with me for a lifetime. Below are two of my favourite quotes from the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche and the Irish poet, W.B. Yeats.
2. If we were out for a meal what would you order?
Anything that was Mediterranean-based; a lamb Tagine comes to mind, something hummous based, pulled pork, falafel etc. Now excuse me while I go and drool………….dribble, swoon, thud. My favourite restaurant in Dublin is Coppinger Row.
3. If there were chips involved in this meal, would you let me eat some?
Of course! I always share my chips and when I order them, there’s always too many! I’m usually just ordering them as an extra and they’re completely unnecessary!
4. What item are you dreaming about adding to your wardrobe/kitchen/house etc?
There are so many so I’ve narrowed it down to these dream items! Saint Laurent Boots, Miu Miu dress, Shrimps Faux Fur coat and Coach skirt.
5. Favourite season?
Summer. I am never warm, never, ever, ever. Even when I was recently in Turkey, the sweat pouring off my pale Irish body, I still felt a light breeze! I’m always the one complaining of a draught.
6. What do you love about blogging?
I love that it allows me to have a voice. I took a break from acting at the end of 2012 and suddenly felt as if I had completely lost my identity. I was missing that form of self-expression terribly. I had always wanted to write but never felt confident enough to put something out there. I finally plucked up the nerve last September and haven’t stopped blogging since.
My questions are:
1. Who the hell are you and why do I care? (I mean that in the nicest most facetious and hopefully humorous way possible)
2. Fashion or comfort?
3. What blogger(s) do you think have a unique voice and what makes them stand out? I adore Man Repeller!
4. Who are your style icons, dead or alive?
5. Who is your favourite ready to wear/couture designer and what do you love about them?
6. If you were a pair of shoes, what would you be? Please provide us with a pic.
7. Mary Kate or Ashley?
8. Alexa Chung or Olivia Palermo? Why?
9. What are you most excited about in fashion this year? Collabs, new brands, new appointments etc.?
10. What are your top five international blogs?
1. Anna K from http://www.fashionstylistka.com/
2. Christina Key from http://christinakey.com/
3. Valerie Husemann from http://simple-et-chic.de/
4. Amanda Stas from http://www.chocolateheels.com/
5. Nora Klappe from http://www.1310bynora.com/
p.s. if you don’t want to participate in this, don’t worry a jot! It might be a lot of extra effort that you don’t need. I would love to learn more about these particular bloggers though and I think it’s a great way to find new blogs and open up the fashion blogging community more so it would be nice if you can respond. x